Friday, June 3, 2011

Ramblers, climbers and vines


The New Dawn is still blooming. It did not have its best year. That would have been two Junes ago, when they lived in the mist for the month of June. Now, with falling petals,  I vacuum the terrace. Really. The Iceberg has the worst blackspot of its life. Not for nothing is blackspot part my blog's 'manifesto'. Right now the rose is three quarters bald. It may work for Frenchmen but it doesn't work for roses. The truth is, this happens every year. But I forget.

I have been deadheading it scrupulously, giving it a chance to bring on a second flush, for you know who (I'm not supposed to talk about it anymore)...I am having rash thoughts.


I am very happy with Etoile de Violette. I find large-flowered clematis stunning, but these simple, wilder, older flowers appealed to me a bit more, as did the longer season of bloom - after its peak it will rebloom into September.


And on the roof the cucumbers have taken off, at last. The melons show some promise, too: At least four of the 'Sugar Babies' and three of the charentais grown from seed seem to be hanging in there, though the last are still small. I think hot weather will cure that. Frank's tomatoes are thriving, my seed-grown ones are catching up - and I will be inventing a lot of tomato-based drinks, sorbets, soup and salads, come...late July? August? And then we will be sick of them. But for now...we have forgotten, and need reminding.

8 comments:

  1. If not for the blackspot (mine have it too), looks pretty prolific! Mine are ALL GONE!? Is that normal? I cut them all back but when is the next wave? Also, bought some fish oil something or other at Sprout and spritzed the leaves--supposed ot fight blackspot although I think nothing will work except picking them off. your thoughts lady 66?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They've cleaned up the air too much in NY. A little air pollution prevents/controls blackspot.

    Vacuming rose petals, there is worse housework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use mild dishwashing soap diluted to spray roses to keep pests away and I just realised, I don't ever seem to get blackspot. Hmm, perhaps it is precluding that along with pests ?
    As always, love your posts ! thank you, they make my day MsBeachKC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use mild dishwashing soap diluted to spray roses to keep pests away and I just realised, I don't ever seem to get blackspot. Hmm, perhaps it is precluding that along with pests ?
    As always, love your posts ! thank you, they make my day MsBeachKC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a rose like that. It's a William Baffin. It only behaves if I spray it with Bonide all season horticultural oil dilution. Neem doesn't work on this bad boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chronos for black spot. Or try 1 cup of white vinegar to 5 cups water as a spray. Chronos does not affect wild life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaah New Dawn, seeing that brought back memories of our time in Scotland. I had one rambling up the front of the house. It was beautiful! Suddenly I miss clod old Aberdeen... Thanks for the momories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh Clematis! In deep burgundy. What excellent taste you have. For some reason the nursery trade here seems to have completely overlooked the entire genus. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.