Monday, June 20, 2011

The gardeners

Photo: Ellen Zachos

Find my main interview with Ellen Zachos on Shelterpop. This is the afterparty. Grab a glass. Party on.


In what zone were you born?

I was born in Manchester, New Hampshire, which was zone 5.  It may now be 6 on the updated USDA map, but I grew up in 5.

When did you start to garden?

1997

Early influences? 

When I was growing up my mother had a gorgeous garden and my yiayia was one of those old Greek ladies who could grow anything anywhere, so I like to think gardening was in my genes.

What is your favourite garden chore?  

Planting!

What is your least favourite garden chore?  

Weeding-sweeping-raking.  I know that's three, but I thought if I hyphenated I might slip it by.

Where would you like to garden?  

In a deep bed of fluffy loam somewhere in zone 7.  Is that too much to ask?

What would you like to grow, that you can't?  

Delphinium...I don't have the right conditions for them but I think blue delphiniums are the most beautiful flowers.

Where is your favourite private garden?  

My favorite private garden belongs to Mark, the friend who started me gardening in the first place.  He has created a tiny Rivendell in the PA woods on a mere 1/4 acre.  Every inch is planted perfectly and it's so well integrated into the surrounding woods that it feels expansive even though it's quite small.  There's always something to discover in a nook or a cranny but it doesn't look piecemeal because there are also large swaths of texture and color.  He'd like to have more sun, but I treasure its coolness in summer.

3 comments:

  1. ooo-I like this interview thing. I like that gardeners are being born according to zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any link to Mark's garden? I'd love to have a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that was one fantastic way to start off this series.

    Thanks to both you and Ellen.

    Yesterday we decided it was more fun buying plants that planting them....

    xo J.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.