Thursday, June 16, 2011

The last word on the American berry (maybe)


I know, I know, I've written an awful lot about Amelanchiers recently, viz. today's Edible Manhattan Amelanchier pictures and post...

Well, the city is dripping with them, and I can't help it. We walked from the southern tip of Manhattan late yesterday afternoon to the end of the Highline at 29th Street. Vince showed me an enourmous stash of the berries (above) beside the little cove in the Battery Park greenway that lines the Hudson River here, and again we were the only people paying attention to them. A flock of unwieldy pigeons was feasting on one the trees. Interestingly, these berries were very juicy but less intensely flavoured than the ones at Pier One, perhaps because in Battery Park they are shaded by tall locust trees, and not in full sun.

Then, on the newly opened part of the Highline, which was gorgeous and packed, more Amelanchiers, planted below a raised catwalk, so that the berries are at grazing height. How considerate.

We still have some pie left, and I say it is the true American pie. Nevermind apples. Red are the raw berries, white is the ice cream and blue is the cooked mass of fruit. Made in America.

11 comments:

  1. That sounds good and I've never heard of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you pick all you want and process to freeze for later pies?

    They apparently are not in Zone 7 because I've never heard of them. Sounds and looks like a tart blueberry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank - you pick, you get pie :-)

    Sylvanna - they are little known, which is a shame, but great plant to have in a garden.

    Kellye - yes, they're in Zone 7, I promise. Actually much of Brooklyn is Zone 7. What state are you in? They're sweeter than most blueberries, I'd say, tasting more of apples...You are right - picking and freezing is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah. Keep writing. Maybe you need to go on a quest for the sweetest Juneberry in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah - I feel very fortunate to have one juneberry in my back garden. I've been racing the Blue Jay and Robins for the ripe berries for the past week and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been looking for one to plant in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to go back and check, but I think I tried some of these berries last year while visiting a garden. I was looking at them and the owner said they were edible. He didn't have to say that twice. ;) Your pie looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't seen them in Virginia, either, but they may have come and gone already. I do keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in Central Arkansas, outside Little Rock. Have two medium size vegetable garden. 17 rows of Peaches n'Cream corn, 8 rows of potatoes (that we'll dig tomorrow) cukes, tomatoes, broccoli, yellow squash and zucchini. Green beans and okra. It's been extremely hot here and I'm not sure that the tomatoes will make it! Enjoy your blog. I'm all about trying new things. I'll have to look for the juneberries next season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for this post. i just discovered a Amelanchier tree just outside my workplace.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.