Thursday, April 12, 2012

Scented climber - bees beware


Noticed for the first time on a wrought iron balustrade in front of a Henry Street brownstone: gorgeous Gelsemium sempervirens. Carolina jasmine. Sempervirens indeed - having made it through a mildish winter. Deadly poison if you are a tempted and hungry honey bee. All parts of the plant are highly toxic.

5 comments:

  1. Gosh - I didn't know it was deadly poisonous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poisonous, but a homeopathic remedy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah mine has expired. Deadly to itself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poisonous? I had no idea. We have a beautiful specimen climbing a lamp post in the front yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine went with Jane's but I do miss it. For two weeks every spring it was glorious!

    ReplyDelete

Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.