Monday, April 27, 2009

Shopping in the 'hood

On Saturday I stocked up on small things that make me happy.

Fava beans from Pacific Green, artichokes from New Green Pea; mulberry juice, little cucumbers, French feta, Lingon berry jam from Sahadi's, since I am tired of eating my over-sweet plum jam: must decide what to do with it. The apricot jam and raspberry/red currant are finished and will have to wait for the new crops. Finn Crisps, the best crackers, and an avocado with an outrageous, $1.99 price tag. But I really wanted one to go with the delicious new chives on the terrace. Goat brie, roasted almonds; two shortbreads for afternoon tea. Tonight's salad will be radish, cucumer and feta. Chickpea curry in the packages - the only packaged food I eat, and it is delicous: $3. Can't be beat. The other Pride of India curries are not nearly as good.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good - all of it! A question re. feta - where can one buy decent stuff in CT? Two days ago I DESTROYED a fresh garden salad with...you guessed it, Simonsberg. My crackingly fresh green peper, salad greens, purple basil and radish reduced to that Same Old Taste. Vowed to never do it again! I remember you had feta issues too - any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marijks, I had muh-AJOR feta issues in Cape Town:

    The best feta - and it is excellent - is at Harbour House. They get it en masse from a restaurant supplier, who imports it. I think it's worth going there, having lunch, and begging for some. Wave money and smiles around.

    Second best: there's a stall at the Porter School market on Saturdays...but I don't remember the name. It was on the side closest to the Constantiaberg, and she also sold roast artichoke hearts, as well as a ricotta/feta blend, which is the closest I came in Cape Town to the texture and taste I was looking for. It was straight out a bowl, and she put it in bakkie to go away. I think it comes from Wellington. Um, or Worcester. Somewhere hot.

    Oh - my mom did find, once, vacuum- packaged feta at Woolworths Constantia Village, that seemed imported. That was pretty good, too. But the next time we went it wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.