Thursday, July 12, 2012

Local is lekker


We have had two perfect days. Warm, but without the clinging humidity that smothered us last week. I have been grazing on the terrace strawberries - this is their third flush. I water the pots, and chew the red fruit. All day yesterday I thought it was Tuesday. Which explained why there was no farmers market when I walked by, in the late afternoon - I thought they had packed up early. But after writing today I'll go back to Borough Hall and see if I can find the tomatoes I was looking for. Mine are not ripe yet, but New Jersey is beginning to produce. I went to Trader Joe's to try for real tomatoes, there. They had tomatoes on the vine from Holland. Organic tomatoes from Canada. Small yellow pear tomatoes from Mexico.

Across the Hudson, the real thing is growing.

Time to start a local produce section in every store, oh Hawaian-shirted, forcefully friendly emporium.

Don't you think?

3 comments:

  1. Lokaal is inderdaad lekker :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in the midwest, we are anticipating a bumper crop of tomatoes. And here I am with 70+ plants! Aye yi yi. In previous years, I hedged my bets by planting many plants because I knew I'd be faced with blight or some other tomato catastrophe. I can't wait to eat my first "tom." It's amazing when you think that on March 16, all of my plants were tiny seeds in paper packets. Then, on March 17, they were in seed trays and now, almost 4 months later, the fruits of that labor are about ready to be picked and preserved! And, in answer to your query about local grocery stores stocking local produce....Of course they should!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.