Monday, May 23, 2011

Terrace weekend



I can see my neighbor, Danielle's yellow roses peeping out over the top of her terrace. On this terrace Pat Austin and Abraham Darby roses are covered in buds and should be gorgeous soon, unless they are so damp that they just fall off...I spent a couple of evenings potting up some old thyme that I had divided, as well as the oregano. Hope they do well. I may miss out on thyme flowers.


It rained of course, but held off for long stretches inbetween.


Long enough for the cat to run about and get spooked by Noises from Above (cat Rapture?).


He likes to park himself on the last bluestone slab at the very tip of the roof farm.


Then the sun came out for a bit, and the rain of Iceberg petals continued..


Pitter patter.


I am hording the mint for mojitos.


 A honey bee! I wonder if she belongs to Yann, who lives on Bergen Street with bees and hens. Maybe I can tag them...


I am thinking about getting rid of the tarragon, though it breaks my heart to do so (I've had it for years). I just don't eat it very often and am jealous of the room its pot takes up. More basil! Planted purple and Thai basil. 


The first Pat Austin bloom is opening. They look good now, but last year they hated the long days of July and turned small and crispy...Then again, they did bounce back in September. One forgets..


And New Dawn. Which is putting out new canes that grow inches, I swear, a day. I am measuring. 


And the happiness of the first butterfly.

Update: the butterfly effect?


Unbelievable that in Joplin, Missouri, the mayhem of a perfectly natural phenomenon was about to be felt. We are lucky.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love these photos and your story!! Thanks :) Pritha

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely to see your pots in Spring glory as we are battening down the hatches for our first 'real winter storm' in Cape Town, complete with 65kmph winds. Keep the reminders of spring coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing that I don't understand is "soon". You think it will be gorgeous "soon". It ain't chopped liver now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't toss that tarragon! Instead -

    1. Make tarragon vinegar - it's wonderful.
    2.Chop it up in scrambled eggs.
    3. Here's a recipe using tarragon that I love -
    http://www.tbtam.com/2006/01/corn-chowder-and-scallops-2.html
    4. Give it to me. My tarragon didn't make it through the winter....

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos as always! Can't believe your cat's preferred roost - brave soul!

    Your New Dawn rose is really taking off, huh?

    I'm growing tarragon (in a pot) for the first time...you said you've had yours for years - do you just bring it inside each fall and then back out in spring?

    I definitely second the scrambled eggs with tarragon - we like ours with some tasty goat cheese over an english muffin...mmmmm

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.