Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sitting down to eat



"DINNER SERVICE Even if it’s just me for dinner, I set the table, place mat, flatware, linen napkin, the right choice of wine glass, and I do an actual service for myself. I never eat standing up, I never eat in front of the refrigerator. I treat myself very formally with meals. I don’t watch TV or read. It’s a little bit of a ritual, and it’s more enjoyable. And if there’s one other person, there’s more to talk about because it’s not just me talking to myself."

Mark Morris, Choreographer, to John Leland, for the New York Times' Sunday Routine

I like this guy.

You sit down for a meal, something happens. To you, to your body, to your relationship with food, with yourself and with the person/s who might be there, too.

And if you never do, something else happens. And that ain't good. Sure as eggs is eggs.

Now sit down and have some mulberry pie. Bring a fork.

5 comments:

  1. Dining - as compared to "eating" - seems to be an art that we are losing. I love the stories of my mother and her parents and all her sisters sitting around the table talking, or reading aloud from a book, discussing politics or events or whatever every evening after finishing dinner.

    so much nicer than dashing thru a meal to get to the next tv program. we need to return to those days. Glad you do what you can to move us in that direction. We do, too, but not as well as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always done the same thing. Even if it is me alone. Table is set, hopefully flowers on the table too. My kids have grown up knowing that meals are our time to catch up with each others lives - complete with the proper place settings and usually candles. I hope they continue when they have their own families. p.s. do you have a mulberry pie recipe to share? My tree is practically raining berries and I usually just let the birds feast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. webb - :-)

    Allison - you can use the same recipe as for the Juneberry pie I make:

    http://66squarefeetfood.blogspot.com/2011/06/amelanchier-pie.html

    You can also thicken the juice by draining the coked berries, then stirring into the juices a little slurry of water and arrowroot, or water and cornstarch. But I generally pour most of it off and bottle it for nefarious purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree more, Marie! Especially at breakfast - a certain cat came to expect the ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree as well. However,I do not do it often. Thanks for the "booster shot" for the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.