Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My lettuces turned red


Above. Here are my trout lettuce plants, sown in April (still small because I keep picking the leaves, and they were very slow to start). They have all turned red. They grow in a trough about 10" deep, filled with organic potting soil. When the sun is overhead the shadow of the bigger pots behind the trough creates some shade. I say this because the reddening could be a reaction - protection against - too much sun.


Here is one of those same red lettuces one week after it was transplanted to a larger pot, filled with different potting soil. It turned green. It gets a little shade, especially in the morning, from an immature tomato plant.

I have transplanted four more red lettuces. The experiment continues.

4 comments:

  1. Is this "food science"? did the taste change? It's also pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love experiments!!!! Keep us in the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the red is most likely a phosphorus deficiency

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.