Sunday, July 6, 2008

Red Currant Jam aka You did WHAT on a Saturday Night?

At the farmers' market at Borough Hall, these are what I found, so I pounced.

Perfect jewels.

Three kilograms, including some very good raspberries. I found jam jars at Tony's Hardware on Smith Street. He has everything.

When I realized how much fruit I'd bought, and that each red currant would have to be stripped from its stalk, I got nervous, and made a cup of tea.

Two hours later they were done (I watched two episodes of the BBC's Duchess of Duke Street). I had a glass of the pink bubbly to celebrate.

The boiling, foaming stage. I changed gears and watched Benicio del Toro's face being funny in the Way of the Gun. Fast forwarded during the worst bloody bits: enough jam spattered all over the apartment as it was. I switched to Australian shiraz and shepherd's pie made from the leftover anchovy and rosemary lamb (the story I never told...will fix tomorrow).

The scooping stage.

The I'm nearly done stage. Bloody hell.

And the best of all. The breakfast in bed on a Sunday stage.

Raymond Blanc's recipe here

7 comments:

  1. I swear we must be related. 3 pints of red currents yesterday, plucked with the help of my sweetheart, turned into a crisp, with a little left over for a rum smoothie. Any of your people ever get to the island of St.Helena in the 18th or early 19th century?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they did they didn't tell us about it, :-)

    Sounds delicious, the crisp, I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making jam is the sweetest thing, literally, I can imagine you doing. You make it look easy and so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Resep? Aseblief? One day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Centvingt - and you haven't seen me make Tarte Tatin yet, my Frenchie, :-)

    Jane - yes...it's actually the same as apricot jam, recipe somewhere in the blog (type it into the search bar top left of blog). 1 lb or kilo fruit to 3/4's lb or kilo sugar. Couple of lemons' juice for pectin 3/4's of the way through. . Ready when two drops meet in the middle of a spoon held sideways...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a performance, but worth it. I have redcurrants waiting to be picked from my two bushes, but keep putting off the moment for the very same reason, stripping the berries from the stalks. Not a job I enjoy at all. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic post. I can't believe that you live in a city apartment. You do enough cooking, canning, gardening and gourmet living that I swear you must *really* be on fifteen acres in upstate New York....

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.