Thursday, July 31, 2008

Nursery Run

On a hot, hot day, David Kulick and I drove out to the North Fork of Long Island to pick up some special shade plants for Phase Two of the Baltic Street project, which happens tomorrow...On the way back we stopped off at Bisset to pick up some boxwood, and I drooled over their variegated Japanese iris. I think I want to design a garden in rows. It would have to be a roof you can look down on and out at.

Late liatris.


Below: Panicum virgatum - one of my favourite grasses, with its gossamer seed heads beaded with the mist of the (midday???) sprayers.


And on the North Fork, Jim Glover's fabulous nursery, Glover Perennials. It's far, so I don't make it out there as often as I would like to, but it is a plant geek's Nirvana.


We came back with some very nice stuff which I'd discussed on the phone yesterday with Jim, so it was waiting for us. Dwarf Lady fern, False Lily of the Valley, Alpine strawberries...more tomorrow.

Too soon, it was back to the city. Yay. Traffic.

On a city note: click here to see the rooftop view from the terrace (if you stand on the table)recently - kindly posted by Mr Guskind of Gowanus Lounge.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, who's the chick in the mirror? I like her, if only we could see her face... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly see the appeal with the variated foliage of the iris. I planted Liatris quite late this year and mine are at a slighty earlier stage to these. A trip to a nursery or garden centre is always a pleasure. Your sunset photo really is amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. V - cheep, cheep, cheep.

    Louise: - do you have the mauve liatris?...and thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.