Monday, October 29, 2012

Storm of leaves

Pier 6, Brooklyn Bridge Park

I felt  a bit guilty about not posting disaster pictures, so I went for a two mile-ish walk to see what I could see. First, I swaddled myself in rainboots, a storm jacket of the Frenchman's, and his favourite baseball cap, with the hood of the jacket pulled over that, a big-lensed camera round my neck and under the jacket. So I looked pregnant. 

And then I waddled out into the teeth of it.

Financial District across New York Harbor and East River 

Down at Pier 6 the wind was whipping and I discovered that rain can sting. The cap blew right off my head, here, and landed in a prickly thicket of Rosa rugosa, and I went crawling after it. Couldn't go home without it.

Apart from my dry feet, my lower half was soaked by this time, but upper half toasty and dry; face wet, hair in dripping strings like a rat's, but comfortable enough to press on and ascend to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.

Hicks Street

Lots of leaves and few cars  in the quiet streets. Not a typical Monday scene. 


Vince - stuck at home working remotely - had warned me to keep looking up, saying I would not notice flying objects in my baseball cap and hood. So I kept looking up. I wasn't very happy about walking under the trees and actually crossed the road to avoid callery pears, but I did enjoy jumping in some leafy puddles.


The Promenade was deserted apart from a dozen or so adventure-seekers, locals and tourists alike.

Brookly Heights Promenade

Not a soul on the viewing benches, but pools of locust leaves.


The Statue of Liberty appeared and vanished again as squall after squall swept across the harbor.

New York Harbor and Governor's Island

A coast guard boast strained up the East River against the outgoing tide. 


Work is under way on the construction and planting of the connecting parts of the Brooklyn Bridge Park.


Pier 1 was the first new part to open, below, and Pier 6 the second, way on the left (out of frame). Though low tide, the water was near its high water mark.

Pier 1, Brooklyn Bridge Park

Fallen locust branches lay splintered, up at street level.

Columbia Heights 

Standing in the middle of Henry Street and pointing back towards home, I contemplated another 40 minutes of walking to view the Gowanus Canal. The wind gusts were picking up and my small camera, in a pocket, was wet.

 Henry Street

I headed home to dry off. Delis and food stores look closed but Heights Chateau, stuffed to the gills with alcohol, was open was open. 


Japanese restaurant down the road, shuttered.


Some intrepid friends out for a stormy stroll.


The zelkovas are beginning to reach their colour-peak.


And in the playground the Brooklyn pigeons asked, What storm? 


Wind gusts are picking up, with whistling and howling thrown in for good measure.

The Frenchman has cabin fever and just gone on his own brief walkabout to the water, before the wind gets too bad. My pants are still drying. He'll get wet, but it's nothing a martini can't fix.

Tonight? We will really be an island, as the governor has ordered all bridges closed. Tunnels are already out of commission.  I am grateful for our modest hill, our ample supplies, and our small, dry apartment.

20 comments:

  1. The risk are unseen things blowing rather unexpectedly off rooftops and awnings and such. Not just the trees. I am intrepid enough to go around the corner, but then our area not walled in by buildings may be more at risk.

    I watched the school construction site chain link gates blowing high up in the wind, held only by a chain. They whacked the traffic light and knocked it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We won't go out again, promise - and I am always fond of your Voice of Doom :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look in the mirror I see sunshine :-)
      I thought I was the Voice of Reason and the news that of doom.

      Delete
  3. News photos already look pretty scary. Hope your ride it out without drama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a brave one (and yes, I can say "brave", since this is not foraging!).

    The high tide is at 9 pm tonight, so no late night walks please on the promenade.
    It's a ghost town out there. It's the shore points that are getting nailed. Watch out for cranes in midtown dangling from buildings!!
    Go inside now please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you still have power, but the worst is probably to come. We seem to be just outside of the cone of doom, with some gusts and not-so-bad rain.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wet, but calm. I lost my pear tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe. I hope the terrace garden, you and Vince and your lovely cat weather this storm well. I will be thinking of you. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're thinking of everyone along the coast--humans and critters alike.

    Hope the roof doesn't leak and your balcony plants don't go flying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay safe tonight!!Take care!
    Regards from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stay warm,dry and safe. Sounds like NYC has battened down the hatches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos Marie but I hope you won't venture out again it you get an "all clear". Hunker down with the Frenchman and Estorbo and enjoy your well deserved Martini. The rain has just started here in the Northeast Kingdom. I was out earlier taking a few shots myself but the wind hadn't really started whistling yet. We are supposed to have 80 mph gusts overnight, will have to wait and see what the morning brings. Stay safe and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, do stay safe and inside!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm following progress of the storm on the BBC live text - there are now reports of power out and high water at Battery Park, and I'm guessing that there will be worse to come in the next couple of hours. Hope all come through unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you show us that there is a brighter future after this wild night. whoa, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marlette Compion-VenterOctober 30, 2012 at 3:25 AM

    Hi, Marie
    glad you are [still]safe. Heard on the news [in Jozi] this am that there have been extensive flooding of subways and streets.

    Am thinking of you, the Frenchman, the cat and the fig tree.

    Bly droog. En heel.
    Marlette

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stay in, eat, drink, try to be merry, keep dry and warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. TV news reports power out and a lot/.Z of flooding.
    When you do get t'interweb again, please pop in and let us know how Henry Street fared.,m
    z

    Sorry - Geiger did that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A request -- do another series of photos of the neighbors to see if there's been any major changes. But, BE CAREFUL on that roof!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear you weathered the storm well! 'Kaika and I send warm purrs and thoughts from sunny Cali.

    Keli'i

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.