Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Signs in grey


Harbor, by Frank James Meuschke, 2007

This morning a big rectangular box was presented to me by Vince, who told me that no, it was not from him. 

Turns out it was from the artist who had painted what the box contained.  It is a painting I have wanted for a long, long time, of gantries barely visible across New York Harbor, and one I have not been able to afford.  It's a long story, and affording art is a relative subject. But here it was, and here it is, a gift whose generosity I find hard to process.

Frank Meuschke, Brooklyn-based artist and blogger. And cybermensch. Frank's paintings, especially the harbor and city sketches  speak to me on a gut level, speak to me about the city I love, and represent it in the way I understand it, and in a way that I find thrilling. 

I find it hard to say more. And thank you is inadequate. I wish I could lead everyone who wants to keep a piece of the city to themselves to Frank's studio...Then there is this one, which I love, too, though it is of somewhere I've never been. But maybe Somewhere I've Never Been, is the appeal.

Thank you, Frank. Our boerewors is your boerewors.

It rained this afternoon. Then this happened.



 

16 comments:

  1. so many rainbows for you in one day---a beautiful story marie, and a gorgeous painting. and incredible photos. i'm so glad i came for a visit..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Knowing how you felt about this painting I can only imagine how you must feel about the gift. What a wonderful gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, thoughtful gift. And what a beautiful rainbow you gifted us with.

    See, we all love you.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aside from the beautiful grey painting, I hope you had a very orange birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing quite as special as the unexpected gift that touches your heart. The painting is lovely - almost as lovely as the giving of it. You'll enjoy it them for life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We saw this rainbow today too. It was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photographs are spectacular!!
    I really am enjoying your blog!!
    Best,
    gabriele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday!!! hope you had a fabulous day yesterday was thinking of you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now every time you look at it you will have the double joy of the painting itself and the warm generosity of the artist - how lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to you (yesterday)! Beautiful painting and what a beautiful rainbow. As always, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. um, somebody didn't tell a certain someone it was a birthday.

    happy happy birthday.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you - I didn't mean to hide the birthday, I just don't know what to do about them...

    Can you rewind this thing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdy there. Updating my bibliography and I landed here. Hope you don't mind, I inspected the element and updated the link to what I believe is the right image!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops. Didn't work. Why did I think it would?

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.