Thursday, October 14, 2010

May apple jelly

A jar of woodland sunshine.

Actually, I'm not sure where Ellen gathered these May apples. And if I do find out I will not be allowed to broadcast it. What is certain, is that it is delicious. I tasted some this morning, using Tannie Martha Ferreira's antique silver teaspoons.

Some people have the jelly touch, and Ellen is one of them. Her jellies are clear, only just set, so that they quiver suggestively and throw off refracted light from their delicately coloured contents. I am very lucky to be a recipient of one of four jars of this year's May apple jelly.

You may remember the saga of my first May apple eating experiment, and the way it ended. It is safe to say that this time, the fruit will stay down.

5 comments:

  1. Lucky you. it is dreamlike..

    Eat it in good health, please.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - I love everything about this post, the writing, the photography - perfection.
    & kudos to your apple jelly maker as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew you could make jelly out of may apples!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an evocative post. Quivering suggestively and refracted light in one sentence - too excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you like it, and thanks for the eloquent praise. I can tell you the fruit is from the woods of NE PA, but more than that I'm not saying!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.