Friday, January 8, 2010

Plant choices we make

For those regular readers who have followed the progress of the proposed park on East Houston, I wrote a post for Garden Rant about the plant choices I made for the planting design...

In general, in life, I am one of those Everything in Moderation people. For this park I wanted to plant North American flora, and draw as much as possible from the Northeast. So my foreign introductions posed a bit of a dilemma.

Many informed gardeners are tired of the native versus exotic debate and ask, understandably, what is native anyway? Then I visit local nurseries, and find them selling highly invasive species, such as barberries, lythrum and Russian olive. There is a big disconnect between the world of selling, the average 'landscaper' and the world of discussion, and until the selling and landscaping world catch up (I am generalizing), this remains a pertinent issue.

I am at heart a plant collector, like my mother, but on a necessarily teenier scale. So that means I am always going to want roses, and lilies, or something New. But I am also excited by the challenges of native gardening and the possibilities it affords.

6 comments:

  1. OMG you got The Four Quartets in there! Very impressive. This is an issue I deal with all the time. While I shun the proven invasives, I am decidedly non-dogmatic about plant origins. A good plant is a good plant and deserves to be cultivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sing it, sister!
    And, for those of us in countries of widely diverse regions,"native" simply cannot be a blanket term in all regions. Even in this State (Qld) some plants are endemic in one county and banned a few miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just came in;perhaps you've seen it?

    http://www.thisblogrules.com/2010/01/green-graffiti-giving-brooklyn-eco.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely garden plan - can't wait to see some photos of the finish [what garden project is ever "finished"?]product in a summer or two. Native plants certainly have their place and should be used when one can, but there is too much beauty and fragrance out there in non-native plants to pass them by. I plant the colors and scents that speak to me, and enjoy them all. As long as there's a little something for the birds to eat.... the rest is for me to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall endeavour to see it when I visit NY in late September/early October. If I'm lucky, I hope to see it many times in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen - too true, too true ^^

    Dinahmow - la-la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

    Thanks for the link - I haven't seen it and am keeping an eye out. or open?

    Webb - well, I speared myself in the foot by deciding to do a native garden and then back tracking...

    Thursday - you've picked the best time of year!

    ReplyDelete

Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.