Monday, October 8, 2012

October inside and on top


Sunday brought a steady drizzle. Vince went hunting for rainy day pictures in Grand Central and Times Square and I sat glued to his computer and its big, very high resolution screen. I am suffering from just a little photo fatigue and dream at night about altering my neighborhood - finding a deli counter lacking vibrance, the sky blown, and Brooklyn's white balance way off.

While files were uploading or downloading, I forget which, I managed to nip onto the terrace in amongst the drips to see what was happening.

The amazing anemones keep making more flowers. I spotted a brand new stem today.


The mint has bounced back after its post-summer buzz cut.


I miss the farm. Haven't seen it in a few days. The nearest pot (below) is planted with fava, the un-harvested ones, and almost too big to eat, now: the stems must be very tender to be delicious. I'll pick them today. I've been picking the leaves from the next pot. The shrubby thing is the blueberry in its new quarters. I pruned it very hard in the summer, and held my breath. It has a mulch of unused coffee beans, for acid. Every now and then I give it some leftover coffee to drink. I hoard it decorously in a tall glass carafe, all my (unmilked) espresso leavings from the mornings. I only drink half of what's in the little pot. Coffee grounds, leached of their coffeeness, apparently do little to increase the soil's acidity.


I deliver the all-important external hard drive with my book's prospective photos on it to the publishers, today. Backing all the images up and saving the RAW (and occasionally jpeg) originals gave me the screaming heebie jeebies. I have three external drives. Just in case. And my laptop is groaning: Too. Full. Must. Loosen. Pants.

Round one is over. Round two begins, soon. This week I shall take a little break. Hunt a mushroom or two.

Find a cashmere sweater to buy.

9 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to your book. Such a lot of work for you for so many months, but it will be a best seller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just let out my breath in a big sigh.

    Do you think we were all holding out breath waiting for you to finish?

    Must have sounded like a deracho when we relaxed.

    xo J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to much with spent coffee grinds to help the blueberries by making the soils more acidic. I will have to try this, but with a Keurig coffee maker I will have to scoop the grinds out of those little cups and save them.

    I won't have any coffee left over -- too much of an addict for that!

    Terrace Garedener, WEA

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve a basket of mushrooms and at least 3 sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Yes, I understand the 5 flashdrives and external hard drives plus e-mailing drafts to myself. Oh, yes, buy at least one cashmere sweater and desribe it in detail. *grin* Oh, and maybe a treat for the Don.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did someone mention Veuve Cliquot?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate Veuve Cliquot :-) But if someone mentioned...Pol Roger, or perhaps...Laurent Perrier?...or better, Perrier Jouet?

    Sigh. Prosecco for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, looking forward to your book, too, Marie. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you and your great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Envy your cooler weather as we swelter in humid, voggy Honolulu. Can't think of cashmere here. Sending you warm wishes on the completion of Round One.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.