Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sorry martini

I didn't think it was possible to get a bad martini in New York. It is.

Vince and I had a touristy Tuesday evening, shopping for shoes and then going to look at the skating rink at the Rockefeller Center. Ten years in New York and I'd never been. A martini seemed a good idea. The setting is a cliche of holiday happiness. So we went to the Rock Centre Cafe, with windows looking over the ice, sat at the bar. And were served the worst Grey Goose martinis it has ever been my misfortune to contemplate. I drank a quarter of mine and spurned the rest. It may have glanced at the Grey Goose bottle as it passed on its way to the olive juice bottle. When the check arrived it was accompanied by mystery meat on old melba toast.

The martinis cost $16. If you have them on the rocks they are $14. Que? Not only the worst, but the most expensive martini in New York.

I am so sorry for tourists. This is for their benefit, and it ain't fair.

2 comments:

  1. I find the fact that they charge different price for "on the rocks" a bit cheap.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.