Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Edible Balcony



A new book.

I don't lap up a gardening book that often. But British garden writer Alex Mitchell's The Edible Balcony was an unexpectedly satisfying find (you can read my interview with her  - last summer - here). I stumbled upon it in my local book shop when I was looking for another book, and pounced. Why? Because there's a picture of my terrace in it (Squee!), and while I had seen a pdf of the layout I was very curious to see how it looked like in print. Verdict? Luscious. Because all the images are beautifully printed. And that's not always the case.

The photos - of balconies, mini farms, fruit and vegetable crops - are very well curated, alongside ideas that make you itch to get digging. Whether you are a veteran or a novice gardener, Alex's book has gardening alchemy. I know this stuff, but sometimes you just want to see it spread beautifully on the page. The Edible Garden is published in the US by Rodale and Kyle Cathie in the UK. Stunning book.

Oh, the drink above? Aged tequila whizzed up with Haagen Dazs lemon sorbet and a squeeze of lime. Trashy goes deluxe. She has drinks in her book, too. They gave me ideas.

3 comments:

  1. It's so much fun to open a book and see a place that we know - especially when it's a terrace in Brooklyn. glad it turned out so well.

    I think you need to negotiate a "reality program" on edible and rooftop gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... At first glimpse at your title today, I thought it said, edible baloney. What other kind would there be.....

    but then I looked more closely. Aha!

    Now that sounds like a lovely book... and your terrace a lovely place to visit... And to think it's been made famous in that book you happened upon. How perfectly splendid!

    Wishing you more of those wondrous glimpses.......

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.