Thursday, March 22, 2012

Central Park now


I was on a Japanese knotweed mission. That's another story (knotweed risotto for supper last night).

On my way to The Ramble, I found spring. The fence pictured here is below The Shakespeare Garden. Early, species tulips are opening. The big ones are still a long way behind - which feels like a relief: Big surprise for us - my mother is visiting from Cape Town in April, just in time for Easter. And I am worried that there will be no spring left. She might miss cherries entirely, but there should be crabapples and dogwoods.


We booked her into a hotel opposite the Battery Park Bosque and Conservancy gardens, which I hope will be a green and flower-filled treat. The Frenchman works a few minutes away and we plan to have many picnics under the old plane trees in the Piet Oudolf-designed garden, with a view of the vast and busy harbour.


The weeping loveliness of this cherry...This is beside the Great Lawn. Picnics planned here, too. We must get some folding chairs. Vince and I need them for our silvertop roof suppers, anyway.


These magnolias are near East 86th Street.





Luscious, lickable Magnolia soulangeana. And perfumed. Highly.


Wish I could roll in them.

17 comments:

  1. I grew up on the East Coast a very long time ago, and over the years have come to love the subtle changes that mark the seasons here in San Francisco.
    So I'm really quite surprised that the beautiful spring snapshots you've been posting the past few days have awakened a deeply felt, wistful memory of how -welcome- the arrival of spring can be in other parts of the country.
    Thanks so much for taking me back to another place and time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie! Just found your blog and LOVE IT! Our son lives in Brooklyn, and is always sending pic's of what's in bloom. I lived in Manhatten in the 70's and remember the bloom Central Park's plantings would put on in the spring. Your photos today bring back such good memories. My husband and I currently live in New Orleans, and record our growing year too. Come for a visit on our blog: http://apleasanthouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So succulent. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous pictures. There are crocuses and daffodils bursting out of the ground here in Toronto but the weirdly, record-smashing warm temperatures are about to drop and I see all these buds on trees and wonder if the they'll survive it. Of course, they're Canadian trees so they're pretty hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much beauty! Thank you, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. breathtaking ... lovely, amazing, beautiful ... we've had 2 days of summer weather +25C today - so soon it will all be happening here xos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous shots, I wish I'd been there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you mother is coming - what a treat. The photo of the weeping fruit tree is GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does seem strange to see everything blooming so early, but lovely also. I just want it to last and last. Such wonderful photos.. truly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous time of the year--and in the blink of an eye it will all be gone. It should last for months!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That weeping cherry! Wonderful. You remind me to go up to the city (Glasgow in Scotland) and see the show in the parks and gardens.Might take a picnic too. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't believe I'm missing this! Narry a bud in Santa Fe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply Sublime. Makes me want to sit and pen odes to the blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the time of the year where I start hopping up and down with impatience. Especially when I see those pictures. Here in Denver, we are late comparing to other states. Yesterday I saw 2 daffodils blooming and it was heaven 💐...magnolia trees...I cannot even imagine😉

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely! Am really enjoying all your spring flower and blossom shots. Spring is my favourite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautiful & well photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just discovered your blog and am loving it. I've bookmarked it hoping to catch more heelike pics. Also very inspired by the beautiful landscaping folks are doing right next door. Where I live, it sometimes feels like all every only knows to plant is khakibos.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.