Friday, March 23, 2012

At night on a roof in a big city


It's the weekend, and we may have more of these. This was last night, on the roof.


I had watered my greens (peas, and mesclun salad are up, fava beans are still thinking about it), and the cat had joined us.


The runoff headed down the roof like our own Ganges delta.


Stars and planets appeared. Jupiter and Venus right above us. Planes landing and passing, invisible satellites crossing. Ferries and pleasure boats out on the water.


Lying back, heads on pillows, the hum of the city around us, the light-scattered sky above, Vince said, checking his constellation app on his phone, This makes it all worth it.

9 comments:

  1. Is that mango? Looks delish, all of it! Love my sky app too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes mango, we're getting bucketloads up from Mexico right now, so I treat this as mango season. The curved kind, not the rounder, green-skinned sort. We had it with the prosciutto, in lieu of melon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one will ever get as much from that apartment as you three do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful night in the City! And mango makes it all the better. We had a huge mango tree (the curved kind - Haydens) in the yard of the house where I grew up. I'd sit in it's branches for hours.

    Keli'i

    ReplyDelete
  5. We call them champagne mangoes here and we eat them like mango alcoholics.

    You do live well Ms. mare.

    xo J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I were your downstairs neighbor and that you liked me a lot; invitations to dine, therefore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I love seeing Storbito at your roof picnic. But once I saw Ruth's comment about mangos, I realized that he had motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a glorious way to spend an evening. From a chilly (as soon as dusk hits) London, without a lovely roof-garden and fine feline, I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a lovely evening, especially the mango. I must go buy more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.