Friday, December 4, 2009

Life on the lot

Doubting a measurement on my planting plan for the East Houston lot, which is almost complete, I walked across the street and measured again. It was fine. It just looks smaller from the outside than it feels on the inside. There is space for two Asimina trees in front of the brick foundation.

All the leaves have fallen from the plane trees, but small things are growing in cracks and in the very green grass. Waldsteinia fragaria, Apalachian strawberry, is very tenacious. The South African herbalist, Margaret Roberts, recommends that one uses the fruit to whiten teeth. Personally, I stick to Crest Whitestrips.

After our trek with Steve Brill in Prospect Park I could identify clumps of field garlic.

And a dandelion bloomed. If you click on the picture to enlarge it, note the weird pixel thing going on above the crown. Did that dandelion have special energy?

Next week I will start the watercolour version of the plans, or the "pretty picture", and copy the finished planting layout and total plant numbers. I have not added them up yet. It will be interesting.

5 comments:

  1. Totally unrelated to you lovely post (and the dandelion does seem magical!) ... but last night I was on the A/C/B/D platform at 59th street and craving a beer and some lively convo with you! Let's get together soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog to stumble across. I love gardening and your blog got my attention immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the city through your eyes. It makes me remember that there are some things that I miss about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what's with the columns? what a romantic and classical touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pritha - I like it when people think of beer and then think of me :-)

    Lizzie - thank you!

    Thomas, that's nice to know. There is a lot not to miss, I know - but it's the little things that become impressive, somehow...

    Anonymoose - the columns etc are what's left after the house on that foundation collapsed a few years ago. The whole building was filled with them and could not take the strain. The owner, whose business was selling them, has never moved them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.