Friday, March 2, 2012

How to begin


Breakfast. Sometimes this is as good as it gets. This moment. The coffee is hot. The toast's butter is still melting at the edges. The smell of jam and coffee mingle. Nothing has been tasted. This is the beginning. It is very exciting.

The coffee is Danish Supreme  ground to order at Sahadi's. The milk is fluffed in the fluffer purchased at Pick 'n Pay in Constantia, Cape Town, where milk fluffers are ordinary enough to be sold on supermarket shelves. The D'Arbo jam is Austrian, and not too sweet. The cup comes from Anthropologie. These things can anchor a day.

If I have played my coffee cards right, and not allowed the stovetop espresso maker to work overtime, or overdone or underdone the sugar, the first sip does not disappoint. I would be happy to arrest life right there.

7 comments:

  1. I want to know more about this milk "fluffer"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I also love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have those items anchor a day! I think I'll try my own version of these anchors...I think I even have something that can suffice as a milk fluffer! So well said, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the morning sacraments - though the details may vary from household to household - they are what give each day grace and focus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think inquiring minds might find a "milk frother" by Googling it. My husband bought me one about two years ago on line for about $30, but I don't know where. It works just fine and the froth looks like your "fluff".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from Vienna (i.e. from my 75 square feet balcony)! If you like Darbo, you should try Staud´s marmelade - I think it is available at Dean&Deluca.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.