Monday, July 25, 2011

Eating pigweed


It's not going too far to say that this is my favourite cooked green. At the moment. Above, a bowl of morog.  My explanation, story and more pictures at Edible Manhattan.

Slurp.

It's not fair to label this as foraged, because I picked it from the terrace. Cultivate your own, and do not over-fertilize (stock - horses, cows, sheep, etc - can get very sick from eating a lot of amaranth from fertilized fields. The plant converts nitrogen in fertilizer to nitrates, which are poisonous in large doses).

But I could not eat this bowlful fast enough.

The crostini and pigweed bredie recipes are next door at 66 Square Feet (the Food).

In other news: It's raining! A soft pitter patter. The temperature is 73'F. I feel quite giddy, and consequently had to bake another cherry clafoutis...

6 comments:

  1. Hopefully you'll feel a lot more comfortable now the weather has broken, at least for the time being!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds kinda funky but looks great! Glad it tasted so nice, too :).
    I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eish sissie!! Morok 'n Roll!!
    Oh the many many times I've eaten it...always with onion and often garlic and always potato.
    Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt just the same when the heat broke here a couple of days ago and we had the wonderful rain! I did not bake however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. marie, is this the same weed that gets spiny or prickly as it gets older?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne - great relief, yes!

    GoDio - broccoli's funky. And thanks :-)

    Mal! - really? I love the description, it's very Evita.

    Val - those cherries were staring at me.

    Hi Donna - A. retroflexus can vary or morph widely within the species but the thorns seem to belong to A. spinosus. I have found a couple references on the web where pictures show a thorny stem, but I tend to think that they are mistaken in their identification (there are dozens of amaranths).

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.