Monday, December 28, 2009

Home

Back in Brooklyn.

Soon I'll post some more blurry train pictures, from another breathtakingly beautiful trip on The Adirondack from Montreal to New York. Aside from a grumpy, rude, unprofessional crew (quite the opposite, on the trip up), it was bliss. Wide seats, plenty of legroom, power outlets for computers at the seat, hot strong coffee from the thermos, the cafe car if you feel like spreading out, with a table between you, to eat your own picnic and drink your own wine, and the scenery, frame after frame of perfectly composed landscape. Farmland with brown furrows in the white expanse; mist lifting from trees; crows flying over dried yellow corn stalks; icicles clinging to lake-bound rocks; petrified trees in frozen lowland; cracked ice sheets; ice fisherpersons; broad rivers; massive lakes; ice flows; bald eagles. And no inkling - apart from the dreary wait at Customs - that it is all taking 11 hours.

It is a trip I recommend. And winter may be the best time to do it.

When I was home I thought I was ill with a dizziness that made me feel as though I lurched in the shower and jumped in our bed. Vince said, It's just train sickness. And it was. My body thought it was still riding the rails.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to come back home? Oftentimes for me, it feels just as good as going away. :) Maybe it's because I love my own bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That used to happen to me when we had been on the boat for a week or so. (We used to have a 28' Newport and all four of us could sleep on it.) Sorry, don't mean to boast, but you have to know the size so you know how much rocking there was going on. How we got this boat is another story. We had many great vacations at Catalina.

    That's pretty nice china, there. I used to work in a china store in Toronto when I was a student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Marie! You make me yearn for a train trip...
    And in case I don't get back (lot o' stuff happening here) Bon chance,m'sieur Beence! Think: "Green Card" with Gerard Depardieur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas , yes it is. And I also love my bed :-)

    Chris - how wonderful to have had a yacht. I love the china - Christmas gift form my sister in law, who seems to know me well :-)

    Dinahmow - oooh, our tummies are in knots.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.