Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Gin Sour, with a boost


So, a coupe like this Woodstock glass holds five ounces of liquid, which is about ten tablespoons. I rarely measure when I pour my liquors and liquids into the little silver cocktail shaker, but am delighted every time the drink, after shaking, comes right to the rim of the glass. I have a dead eye. With cocktails, anyway.

But with the writing of the book I started measuring, pretty fast, deconstructing after the event, and then reconstructing, to make sure the ratios given in each month's cocktail or aperitif recipes were spot on.

This one is not in the book. It should be. The preserved lemons gave me an idea. And it is not exactly a gin sour, either. More like a gin salty and sour. Any ideas for a better name?

2 oz gin
2 oz sumac-infused vodka (this is in the book)
1 oz lemon juice
1 tsp lemon syrup from a jar of preserved lemons

Shaken like the blazes with ice. Tart, a hint of salt, the juniper and sour sumac coming through.

If you'll excuse me, I'm about to sip one, now.

2 comments:

  1. The preserved lemons were my own homemade, so vastly different saltiness is highly likely. Since perfect saltiness is very much a personal preference, I should just have had the good sense to make the basic cocktail without the lemony brine at first, and then add the salty liquid "to taste"!
    I will admit that I had to just use regular vodka too, not having made sumac-infused in the autumn.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.