Friday, May 14, 2010

What was I thinking?

There are three of them. In the pot with the Lilium 'Dunyazade' and the fennel. I was wondering what on earth they were. They opened today. Not only are they red, but they are Asiatics. I don't like red lilies and I don't like Asiatics. They are brash. Loud. Contrived. Crowd pleasers. Glad handers.

What? - you say, You with the terrace painted that colour, hello?

...

What came over me? More troubling, when did I do it? Order them? Plant them? Not this spring, certainly. This spring I planted native Lilium superbum a (bright orange!) recurved (hence elegant) lily. Also the Formosas. White, simple, trumpet shape. Pointing forward, not up.

I am going to have to search my emails for orders, and find out what on earth was going on. Perhaps I sleep-order lilies and sleep-plant them? Is this a sign of something? Disturbance, unreconciled and suppressed personalities?

5 comments:

  1. At least it's only lilies. I have been known to ask myself that question about sofas, clothes, shoes.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got orange asiatics from my brother in law. I took the gifts and planted them. Amazingly, they are being outcompeted by some millefolium yarrow.

    I like orange, but these are like a leopard leotard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a fan of red, either, but those are gorgeous! I would plunk them down in my blue/pink/lavender garden in a heartbeat. Sometimes you just have to step out of your comfort zone. Yowzer!

    ps: If you really hate them, I'll send you my address and pay the postage!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, Frank - Achillea really wants world domination.

    Rachel, you reminded me of a very loud garden I designed about 8 years ago: the planters were butter yellow, and the plantings were red, and blue. Red climbing roses, something Meideland (they repeated) blue catnip and lavender, and red, yup, Asiatics.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.