Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Crops in containers

Crop is a big word for some small plants, and yet I do snip them every day and we do eat them. Above, the sterile chives: I'm curious to see what happens now. Chives self seed freely if allowed to, and reproduce quickly underground too, so can be a problem. Not so much in a roof garden, but no doubt seedlings are coming up in nearby patches of earth. The calamintha and savoury are even worse. I pull out volunteers every day. So this year I will dead head both.

The strawberries are coming along nicely, and I hope no animal finds them. Some bloody bird tried the figs about 5 weeks too early. But it is the first crop, which often falls off, anyway. I have high hopes for the second. I don't know whether the raccoon is still in residence and I must investigate his house so that I can write that story.

Now I'm off to rake, weed and mulch. And dead head. It's going to be hot.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the two fig crops.
    Even if not properly investigated, the raccoon story has to be told, at least some clueing in on what it's about. ( I am a curious person, I'll admit to it ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. niiiice strawberries--i hope no animal finds them either...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.