Monday, June 25, 2007

Mama's Finger Lickin' Ribs


Will came over for dinner on Sunday to help test my rib recipe. I was writing a story on spec for Go! magazine and wanted to make sure what I'd written wasn't a lie. Anyway, he wolfed them very gratifyingly and said they passed. I didn't take pictures! But here are the same recipe in March...he did say that he could see and smell the smoke from the barbecue from Clinton Street. So here are:
Mama's Finger Lickin' Ribs for Two
It is a cure for depression and you can play pick-up-sticks with the bare bones afterwards.
You need:
Two racks pork ribs
¼ cup vinegar, preferably red wine
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 Tbsp brown sugar
5 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp apricot jam
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Chile flakes to taste
Salt 'n pepper
Mix marinade ingredients and pour over ribs. Leave overnight or for many, chilled, hours. Put on hot, grey coals and cook till they start to char a little. Turn once and cook another ten minutes or so. I leave them to rest under foil for ten minutes, then slice them and stack them. If you are brave, eat them on a salad of: thinly sliced red onion sprinkled with salt, a little sugar and lemon juice; or thinly sliced red cabbage, marinated for ten minutes in red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, then drained.

1 comment:

  1. They look scrummy. I'd never thought of buying / cooking ribs before, but now that I've found a proper butcher (german - of course), I think I might:
    Saturday I went to Atlas Feeds to buy dog food and passed the Black Forest butchery on the way, in Gabriel Rd. They had an impressive looking 'think flank' - which they happily cut to the desired thickness.
    I'm going to experiment a bit more though, because it was so lean it was a tad dry....whereas the chuck / brisket from P&P has a tiny bit of fat (and bone)....got a feeling I prefer that.
    Your finger lickin ribs don't look like they'd suffer from any dryness - very succulent they are!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.