Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday's snow


There will be more tomorrow. There is more, now. But Now is dark.


I went snow shopping, down Lenox Avenue. 


After negotiating the sawdust-sprinkled chute that leads into Fine Fare, I found in the produce section bunches of culantro - not cilantro - which is a new favourite herb. Eryngium foetidum. So whoever named it really didn't like it.

Some white chap.

And it is like pungent cilantro. Which many people loathe. 

Do you know that what North America calls cilantro (coriander - Coriandrum sativum - for the English and Commonwealth) is considered native to England (and southern Europe)? Yet it is associated almost exclusively with Latin American and Southeast Asian culinary traditions.

My culantro become a raw sauce, with cilantro, lime slices, sugar, a load of black pepper, garlic and lime juice, for chicken roasted on a bed of sweet potatoes.


Juggling shopping bags, umbrella for in-the-face snow, gloves for freezing hands and camera was tricky.


Maraschino trees. If only I liked Manhattans (I have decided that I do not).

More tomorrow. I have granted myself a snow day. Where should I go?

Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge?
Central Park's Ramble?
Inwood?

Somewhere else?

10 comments:

  1. Judging by all that snow, bed. Back to bed is where you should go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you find the maraschino trees? I have never seen those before! I can't believe nobody took the fruit!

    Too cold to go too far. Bundle up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught someone in my maraschino trap!!!

      It is in fact a crabapple. But they look just like the cherries, don't they?

      Delete
  3. Where ever you go, be sure to build a snowman :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wherever you go, have fun! As for the maraschinos, what about those childhood memory sodas called Shirley Temple's or Roy Rogers'? The two ingredients I remember were 7-up and maraschino cherries. We'd always get them when out to dinner with grown ups. The adults would have their version of cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What!? I've seen your cocktails and can't believe you don't like a good Manhatten.....my illusions of you are shattered! Your snow pictures are beautiful. I will get over the Manhatten thing. Still a fan of 66sq ft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these Maraschino cherries, don't they make a good alcohol? this is also foraging, no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caught two. I was ready to send you a box and postage to ship me a couple of pounds. Will happily drink all the Manhattans you want to refuse. The birds always get my crabapples so have never seen a whole bunch like that, but i thought they came in June/July ... January?

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.