Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Leaving home


I had cabin fever yesterday. So I put on my gumboots (it has been very wet) and left the house with an air of defiance. Walked down to the East River, where I found the first red Juneberries. They often start in May.  They tasted like apples. Instead of ticketing me a Pier One staffer waved at me. I waved back. I also noted, in The Noisiest Park in the World, next door, that we might have a bumper crop of beach plums this year. We shall have to return to the seashore to gather them in July.


Then I got on the subway and went for a walk in the woods. The goutweed is beginning to bloom.


I found burdock leaves as big as umbrellas. With stalks. I'll make some more burdocky dishes and see what works best. Also heaps of tender lambs quarters. Perhaps a tart. Or a quiche. What's the difference? I walked until I was tired, and then I got onto another subway back to our hood and visited the butcher, which is always a good idea when one is feeling iffy, because butchers are cheerful.

And then I came home.

1 comment:

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.