Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I have...


Sown:

Linaria purpurea, from my mom's garden. It's beautiful, and allegedly hardy to Zone 3. I have never seen it here. I will hopefully have more seedlings than I can use, so...


Purple opium poppies, also from my mom's garden. Not sure how wise this is, not because of opium but because they are so short-lived. But it's an experiment.
Three varieties of tomato just bought at ever-lovely GRDN on Hoyt Street. I was optimistically sniffing about for violas or pansies for the terrace: all from Seed Savers Exchange - Tomatoes are Austin's Red Pear, Red Zebra and Lemon Drop. I also bought almost-white nasturtiums, for leaf-eating and pretty flowers. Has to be spring fever. Nasturtiums!
Some Seneca sunflowers seeds that Christina Kelly gave me last year.
And some wild-gathered seeds, Apios americana, or US-native ground nut. These came from a frigid lake edge in Pennsylvania, gathered the weekend I went up to visit with Ellen to photograph (and drink!) her wine. The flowers are pretty and scented and I would like to try the tubers.


Root pruned:

The agastache. I've already pruned the fig and the Japanese forest grass.

Played:

With the cat, till he could play no more


 Written:

To the the owners of the delicious-smelling plant behind the high green wall. I have been invited to come and see. It is a witch hazel...


Cooked:

Malva pudding, for the first time. The Frenchie ran down the length of Manhattan, towards home, on a 30km loop. He has announced that he will tackle the New York Marathon this year. This surprised me. He is not a crowd kind of guy. I hoped that the promise of pudding might prove inspirational. Version One was not bad. Version Two considerably better. One more tweak and perfection awaits.

Roast chicken. Because it was time.

5 comments:

  1. Malva pudding and roast chicken !!!
    Go go go !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Version 2 was delicious and the New York Marathon can wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toadflax!

    A friend of mine teaches in Decora Iowa, where seedsavers is. I'm hoping for a visit this June when we're in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sowed some leeks today. Yeah for March 1st!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hen...OK!

    Beence - really?

    Frank - toadflax! Of course when I look up toadflax it says invasive. Maybe only the yellow kind? she says, hopefully...

    Meems - outside, inside?

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.