Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas flowers


Time was, there was one agapanthus: medium blue, flowered around Christmas.


It is still the Christmas flower in these parts, but there are many, many new kids on the block. I will visit some of them at the Kirstenbosch nursery tomorrow. And here are some others.


Some of them are taller than I am.


The view below is from my bedroom window.



Below, Dietes grandiflora.

Back to Kirstenbosch tomorrow for more pictures. The photos in this post are all from my mother's garden. This morning I snapped awake at 3am, read till 6 and then wandered the dew-wet garden, taking pictures. Then I made myself a plate of sausages and eggs, with toasted heavy brown bread and apricot jam and stinging coffee on the side. What else could I do? Followed by a couple of rapt hours listening to Ernst van Jaarsveld, who makes plants come alive in stories as he speaks.

Hopefully I retained some of it. More of that later.

9 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! Love agapanthus. Had one pitiful little one last summer. Those are wonderful. Glad you made it ok. Hope your clock resets itself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, there is a flower jungle just outside the bedroom. It looks beautiful. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we had flowers for Christmas here, besides the Poinsettias in the market, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Marie. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Christmas, Marie, to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bedroom view, Marie
    Joyeux Noel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful Marie. Wishing you a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a room with a view.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.