Thursday, October 31, 2013

My own private island


For fun, we had supper at our new kitchen island. The cat wondered why we were so high up. Very inconvenient for chicken morsels. The levitating pan in the background contains hen of the woods/maitake mushrooms, waiting for the oven to cool a little so they can go on drying out. Today they will be pulverized and whipped into butter. Then I will feed them to a WNYC team. If they taste good enough. Also hen of the woods pâté. The soup...well, that's quite a long story.

The little grey knobs on the cabinets must be switched out. I can't use the pretty orange ones I have as they'd look horrible on that colour wood. Anyone want some door knobs? There are twelve, vaguely Moroccon.

We're getting there, inching along.

9 comments:

  1. Please! Renovating my 112 year old house and the kitchen is next.... : ) So glad you're settling in, albeit slowly - it'll come x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask for them, but they will look nicer in Jelli's kitchen. A 112 year old home being renovated sounds like a huge but rewarding project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't feel rewarding yet Martina : ) It's taking a very. long. time...!

      Delete
    2. jelli - I'll send you a picture of all twelve later today. Four are different, as the knobs are a bit delicate and like to snap. But I think they look good together.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Marie : ) They look just the sort of thing I'd pick myself. I'm planning warm but muted colours - buttermilk/ochre/softer oranges/mustard, with brighter, quirky accents - you get the idea.

      Delete
  3. looking forward to it! see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so thrilled that you are settling in and posting pictures of the progress!
    Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I scoured every pre-loved store in Cobble Hill, looking for those (or similar) knobs. Would not work here as my cupboard doors have double screw holes drilled in them.
    Not to Storbie - practise yompa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cozy scene, Marie; it looks like home to me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.