Thursday, October 24, 2013

Darkness and light


I cleaned the old apartment yesterday. I arrived in bright sunshine via the bluestone-sidewalked streets. The natural light in the tiny place made my heart sore.

While the fumes of oven cleaner choked the apartment, I stood on the bare terrace and wolfed a lunchtime pita stuffed with falafel from the Damascus Bakery.  

I gave up at 6.30, in the dark. I left everything sparkling. The place is worn after ten years of living, to be sure, but the bathroom, fridge, stove, counter and cupboards are very, very clean. 


On the way back to the 2 and 3 subway at Borough Hall, I stopped to buy flowers from outside Key Food - asters, for fall. 


And fresh things from Mr Kim's - thin green beans, watercress, mint and cilantro. And mountains of mustard seed from Sahadi's (I have committed pickled mustard left, right and center and my production rate has not kept up with my promises). And lavash.


And then I rode home. Surrounded by my bagsful of memories.

10 comments:

  1. :/ So long as your memories are mostly sweet, it's a good thing. Onward & upward to new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very beautiful as always Marie ... made me cry those happy/sad tears thinking about my own move (ing forward) & leaving bagfuls of memories - isn't it wonderful to have years and years of near daily blog posts to also pack up & take with us. xo Susan + gang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie - thanks for the "everyday" photos from the old neighborhood. Like you, we've moved to explore new parts of NYC but we still miss the old 'hood. Glad to see that everything is normal. Congrats on the move - can't wait to see what you do up there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Hope the flowers brighten up the new place and you get a bit of sunshine in Harlem today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's hope the new occupants appreciate all your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, you used a mirror to 'expand' the space on the Brooklyn terrace. Mirrors can also move light within spaces. You have opportunities with the challenges presented by this new terrace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harlem is a challenge.....some parts are wonderful, some...not so, but there is an energy there that exists nowhere else in the City.....hope you find it! You're so close to Columbia University....one of the most beautiful urban universities in the country (my opinion). I love the soulfulness of everything you write.....good luck to you and the Frenchman! Angela Muller

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw Marie--I know how hard it can be. Soon enough though, you'll be making some pretty fantastic new ones in that awesome new space of yours! sending hugses, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, my heart is breaking for you reading these posts about your move. But then I have been told I am terrible with change so maybe I'm imagining my own trauma at such an upheaval. I have learnt though that things always settle and start to feel normal after a while, and I hope you guys settle in Harlem as quickly as possible, and make that new blank terraced canvas your own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely, lovely farewell to the neighborhood! As someone who has come and gone and maybe now come again to the neighborhood (http://anindoortree.tumblr.com/post/16865594883/the-art-of-losing), I want to compliment you on how you have captured just how change is in the small, normal, yet totally surreal moments. All the best in your new space and your new outdoor space and I look forward to reading about it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.