Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The objective view


Look familiar?

Backwards, maybe?

66 Square Feet and New York Harbor, from across the road.

A little while ago I left an enveloped note on the doorstep of our across-the-road neighbours, whom I'd never met, to ask if, maybe, they'd let me up onto their roof to see what the terrace loos like from there.

(As it turns out, small! And look, Danielle's terrace next door was painted to match.)

Kindly, they emailed back. They had just moved in, are still busy gut-renovating their top floor apartment, and today I was invited over to take a quick look for future reference, as Thanksgiving's culinary preparations took place in amongst the builders in their apartment.

I thought it might be interesting to sneak one picture from this angle into the book, before it goes to the printers (it is being designed, as we speak). Spring would be prettier, of course: roses. But I'm about to put up holiday lights for the first time, and perhaps a sepia glow as the sun goes down, with twinkly lights, might be nice.

Or pathetic. Hard to say.

And that strip of beige around the tiny window is really annoying, now. I never see it. That's the colour the whole thing used to be.

Man. It's small.

16 comments:

  1. Love it, but you're right about the beige :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read bright colors make rooms look smaller. On the other hand, I've lived in apartments all of my adult life. I'd love walls that were something besides off white...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serious colour can also add serious depth to a small space, especially when seen through layers of objects or, in this case, foliage (I mean, once you're in it) - no amount of white could make 66 Square Feet look larger :-)

      Delete
  3. The size makes it all the more wonderful the amount of joy & produce that you get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Right smack dab in the middle of town
    I've found a paradise that's trouble proof (up on the roof)"-
    (Gerry Goffin and Carole King)

    or with that HANSOM CAD
    up on the roop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. They're disguised in little silverfox fur coats. They have no sense of moral outrage.

      Delete
  6. An interesting perspective of your 66 Square Feet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just how large did you think 66. square FEET were? Try lights in sepia - charming, i think. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah, but there is no place like home. I had a neighbor who was fixing part of the roof, take a bunch of photos from there. It was fun to look at later (I have an immense fear of heights so chances of me taking photos from there is-well-not conceivable).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not pathetic, I love it!
    So glad to show Henry a view from the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your 66 square feet is the source of so much beauty and it brings me great joy. And that's without even mentioning Don Estorbo. With gratitude this Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a different world from the other side. It's much better to be in than out I say. Although looking from across is telling and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so what is the path to get to the rooftop farm? (for the non-felines i mean) i thought a hatch was involved but it looks like just (just!) a hop to the beige level roof & then up again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.