Sunday, March 27, 2011

Bat's blood


Jumping Jehosaphat, I got a fright when I poured this wine. I nearly dropped the bottle. I thought I had opened a bottle of prosecco, just bought at the Brooklyn Wine Exchange. Prosecco - clear, straw yellow? The cork popped and everything. And then out came this, the colour of arterial blood. With bubbles!

It is a Lambrusco, an oft-despised (as overly sweet) Italian sparkling wine, this one produced by Medici Ermete. Once I had recovered from the shock we decided we liked it - it was dry, bright, very good with food - and drank it on another two nights.

4 comments:

  1. Used to get a great Lambrusco at a now-defunct pizza joint. Loved it, but the color is a bit difficult. Glad you enjoyed it, but how in the world did you mistake it for Prosecco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine the size of the bat that produced that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. webb - the prosecco we often buy has a dark green bottle, so one never sees the clear wine inside. I thought this dark bottle was the same. It didn't say Lambrusco on the label, just the estate name :-)

    Estorbo is still out hunting for it, Anne. I think that is why he hasn't written anything lately.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.