Wednesday, October 8, 2008

October flowers: Rabdosia longituba


...aka Trumpet Spur Flower.

This was photographed just coming into bloom, from hundreds of buds, yesterday, October 6th. That's quite something. True, there seems to be a little spider mite going on (minutely cobwebby backs-of-leaves)...But to have blue in the garden in October, and in shade at that, is special. We planted them in August ( I think) and they have grown at least two feet, up and out, since then

This is a tall, loose-limbed plant. It is related to salvia, is butterfly-friendly, belongs in the woodland, and is hardy to USDA Zone 6. I will be very interested to see it in two weeks, as it is quite new to me. Another one from Glover Perennials.

4 comments:

  1. Is it still growing well in your garden? I was wondering about its self seeding tendencies and spreading. Thanks. tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina - That was a garden I designed some years ago and I have not seen it in a couple of years. So I can't say. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears to be spreading in my garden which was planted three years ago. It blooms in late September/early October in South Eastern CT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you consider it invasive? I have some seeds but don't want to introduce invasives. Thanks.

      Delete

Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.