Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Indian Corn at the Union Square Farmers' Market

Smarties? M&M's..?

I intend eating these.

This was met with some incredulity and not a little pity at work. You don't eat that. That's for decoration!

Ugh? That? Aren't they, Those?

I am going to eat them. They are beautiful. And hard. I figure one could treat them like samp?

Watching the final episode of HBO's John Adams last night (remarkable more for the make-up techniques aging Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney, the good, authentic-aiming accents of the cast, and the supporting performances - especially by Stephen Dillane as Jefferson, than for the likability of the central actor, whose performance repelled me, slightly [was it supposed to?]. Make-up did go overboard perhaps with the teeth, in the end... Very distracting), I noticed Abigail Adams slowly shucking an ear of hard corn. Hm. Then today I saw these at the market.

So...boil, then slow-cook with something delicious, like...butter? Some cheese? Like grits? Or can one start off as with risotto, and add moisture gradually?

Counsel?


Um. Ten minutes later and after some research. I don't know. Soaking them in lye water to get rid of the husks? To create hominy, or pozole...and is the lye* really necesssary for the husk removal or is it to free Vitamin B - niacin - without which corn-reliant diets resulted in pellagra, a disease of malnutrition?

I need a small drink.

Update: 11/20/10 -  what would I do now with Indian corn? Make pozole, of course!

* use baking soda instead of lye. Trust me.

4 comments:

  1. I would reconsider. If it's like underwater, pretty means toxic. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooooooo...no more cherry tomatoes, or cherries, for that matter, or kiwis, or red currants, or broccoli, or..what else is pretty: grapes, no more grapes? We're not underwater!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe some kind of polenta...?
    I don't know for certain, but if it's a kind of feed corn, then I expect it'll need a lot of soaking (or you'll need the teeth of a half-ton ruminant) to make it palatable. And maybe a long session with a mortar and pestle --it may be the kind of corn that was ground between rocks before cooking...

    I commend your adventurousness. This stuff can hang unmolested on doors for weeks, even urban wildlife leaves it alone.

    Halloween sends his regards. (also Beau and Patches, who are not very e-literate)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Croft - note there has been no post about the corn yet :-) I am saving it for the weekend. I'm a wuss. Love back to Halloween, Estorbo owes him.

    ReplyDelete

Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.