Sunday, August 25, 2013

How do we sleep when our beds are not burning?

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

It was a beautiful day yesterday, on and off the water. We caught the free orange ferry to Staten Island, and then the subway, which isn't sub at all, and we walked through a green forest, and weed ridden fields, and saw yellow and blue songbirds, and later sat on a bench in the grass under an American oak to eat our sandwiches and drink our split beer. The bench bore a plaque in memory of a sailor born 1956, and who had died in 1980. 24 years old. The bench from his navy friends, who said they missed him.

Downtown Brooklyn

At night after supper these days I watch The Winds of War on Netflix. It's my break from Boardwalk Empire, whose brilliance is marred by excruciating violence, about which I was beginning to dream. 

The Winds of War was made in 1983 and I had not thought it would stand watching in 2013. But the sheer scale of the epic soap opera - each episode is feature length -  is still remarkable: the self-indulgently long takes, the crowd scenes, the sometimes mediocre but often good and occasionally superb acting, with some stunningly off exceptions (Ali McGraw...just, why?), the quaint battleship scenes (models bobbing in a tank of fake waves), the real war footage, the context of shot-on-location geography and the revisiting of half-forgotten facts and real horror. 

I realize that I am being entertained by stories of war, and understand that we all are at some point. But it becomes impossible, while watching, not to imagine the stories, the ones happening right now, as I type, and you read, and as I do so often these days, of the unsolvable Middle East - of Syria, which has refused to go away; of T. E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom; of Egypt, which has been bumped out of the headlines for a bit by these new, old crises, Lebanon leaping up. We've all but forgotten about Iraq and Afghanistan - they lurk in tiny footnotes on unread newspaper pages. But they are still there. At what cost to us? To them? To what end? 

Brooklyn Heights

Every time I drink a glass of water, or wash my face, or pick some herbs, or lie down on the clean bed, or carry out the trash, or hear a cricket, I think, I am not being bombed, or shot or hunted or starved. Or gassed. 

And I wonder, if we were in trouble like that, who would come to our aid?

Would they all just wait, and watch, and redefine, the crossing, and re-crossing of that thin red line?

6 comments:

  1. Herman Wouk actually wrote TWW in 1971, I think, and it is so much better than the TV series. But then that's always the way. I actually avoided the filmed version when it first came out, but gave in to curiosity in the end. And wished I hadn't. Wouk's sequel to TWW, 'War and Remembrance' is more powerful again.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm . . . I just set down our local paper, and opened the NYT Sunday paper online and first ducked over here as a respite. The lovely sailboat helps, but I see you have the same things running in your background that I (many of us?) do. After reading/viewing the NYT powerful pieces on Syria, the Congo, and the "old news" conflicts that are still out there, gratitude wells up for the relative safety and ease that I enjoy everyday. And what if?

    The Kinks' "Catch Me Now I'm Falling" comes to mind . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pay attention my pretty...... the calm and complaceNcY before the storm, yes ,yes we have forgotten!

    No one will hear you , no one will come yet... alone, in the souls dark night the line grows thinner

    i LOVE your posts and , you..Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember watching Winds of War in the 80's and I did enjoy Herman Wouk's books. I am tempted to rewatch some of the mini-series of the 80'. I just read All Quiet on the Western Front which is a very moving anti-was novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think, like you, while I go about my daily tasks, unhindered and without dread and fear, about those in war zones. We see snippets of their lives being ripped apart and we are moved - while the news report lasts, then lean back into our safe reality. This is their reality, every minute of every day and night.
    That last line of yours. War poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I believe they would, in response to your last question. Which leads to the next question, do you fight, do you struggle or do you just give in? I think we should all become fighters, because we’ve seen how the other ends.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.