Monday, November 5, 2012

The perfect omelet


Making a good - yes, alright, a perfect! - omelet...or omelette...still gives me a thrill. Because it is still new.


Three good eggs, a splash of milk, salt and pepper, whisk. A hot pan (my mistake had been a gentle pan, tsk) with plenty of butter swirled up the edges.

I like a very simple omelet. Or omelette. Cheese, chives, field garlic. You can see, above, that I was sloppy and did not pull out the one dry yellow leaf. Bother.


The magic part. Sliding a long, rounded knife along the edges to lift them, then sliding it underneath the sharply tilted pan to fold the top one half over the other. The inside of the omelet is barely set (a state described by Julia Childe, as Stephen Orr recently told me, as pleureuse - weeping).

Exactly...


I have no idea how Selina makes perfect omelettes (they are not omelets) for three people, at once.

13 comments:

  1. Having the perfectly seasoned pan makes all the difference. I'm a wimp. I use a non-stick pan. I love Julia Child's instructions when she talks about folding it - "...you have to stick to your convictions!" I take that to mean go forward with courage and if it falls on the floor...well then the cat gets a lovely meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a nonstick but I end up damaging them. My pans need to take punishment like a m...a pan,a pan. This is All Clad. Worth its (not substantial) weight.

      Delete
  2. I was just wondering yesterday, as I made my hubby his Sunday omelette, how did I ever learn to do so & how I should really look online & see how others do it & then I find this here.
    yours looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done.

    Also the love the choice of the pretty green dishes and cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The omlet is hiding a green praying mantis. Vince hates those plates. Thinks he's eating bugs.

      Delete
  4. I have been eating an omelet everyday, since the gas burner on my stove can work if I manually light the pilot! Love my eggs.
    Still without power or heat, but hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Stacey. Brr. It's so cold now. I am sorry. Carry on hanging in. Where are you having hot showers?

      Delete
  5. You can have a desert omlette of course. In Pierre Koffman's 'Memories of Gascony', he describes a sweet omelette with black berries poached in suger syrup and flambéed with armagnac.

    That omelette you made is a beautiful thing. Perfect half moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean a dessert omelette, though I'm sure you can eat it in the desert.

      Delete
    2. I rather like the idea of desert omelette, actually. I'll make one for you, the next time we find ourselves in one. A desert, I mean.

      Delete
    3. And thank you. My mother used to make me an apricot jam omelette when I was little. And you have given me an idea...wild cherry bourbon omelette. Maybe.

      Delete
  6. Omelettes - perfectly simple fare yet so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.