Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Too much milk means yogurt


Got milk? We had too much.

On separate errands last weekend the Frenchman and I double bought, and I just noticed that the sell by on my half gallon was sneaking up. Although so pasteurized it might last well into the next decade, I decided to make yogurt. Once strained, and thick,  it is very good. Heating the milk for yogurt always makes me think of Hetty Sorrel in George Eliot's Adam Bede. She is the dairy maid who  "handled it (her trade) with all the grace that belongs to mastery.” Her dairy sounded like a nice place to be.

I brought the milk to a simmer, whisked in the tail end of some Fage yogurt, and have just bundled the enameled pot, with lid, in several layers of kikois and feather pillows to stay warm for the next eight hours.

I used the recipe - such as it is - for plain yogurt at 66 Square Feet (the Food).

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing like home-made yogurt with honey. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to make yoghurt for ages, and now a recipe that I feel up to trying! Just have to find muslin and I'm ready to go.
    Korien

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting method to make yogurt! My 'Polish" version is much simpler: just mix a cup of buttermilk with 4 cups of whole milk ( both in room temp.) and wait about 3 days.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.