Monday, August 12, 2013

Pots of flowers


When Estorbo is tired of wandering the roof, but can't get back inside because the sliding door is closed, he will sometimes park himself here, in his well-used ford in the tide of plants.


The seed-grown purple basil is making me proud. It is so perfectly purple. Just looking at it makes me want tender mozzarella. And figs. And tomatoes.


There it is again. But I think the chives, back left, need renewing.


Surprise. After being cut back the newest of my four clematis made it to the top of the climbing Iceberg. But what's its name? I have forgotten - I know it's from Glover Perennials, on the North Fork of Long Island.


The Iceberg itself continues to recover. Leaf cutter bee action on the right.


The fall anemones continue to bloom in summer. (Gloriosa tendrils in the foreground.)


And the unveiling...

It lives. The fig. After The Pruning, I admit I was worried. Root pruning plus severe branch pruning. I think we'll have ripe figs by late September.

And I can't wait.

Actually, I can.

Sometimes waiting for the good things is the best part.

7 comments:

  1. So happy to see your figs. This is the second year for mine -- I was inspired by you -- and they are putting out fruit. I was worried they were stunted, but they are about the size of yours, so i will also wait patiently.

    Great to see Estorbo enjoying the garden,

    Your Roof Neighbor

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely fabulous what you've managed to grow in your little piece of Heaven.
    Bravo.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. The clematis might be a Romona. Mine just bloomed also (right when I considered whacking it, because it has not done very well by me)...funny how plants can sense that they better put on a good show because their life depends on it! Anyhow, yours looks a lot like mine.
    Kathy L

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah ha! my iceberg rose had similar hole-leaves and I wondered how that happened. now I know about leaf-cutter bees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, FIGS!
    A lovely friend of mine has a fig tree in his 'regular' garden over here in the weather-ridden UK. He does nothing much to it, in fact we joke that he 'gardens with fist' - very rough and ready with loppers a steadfast supply of good humour (and good wine), yet this tree has tripled in size and is loaded with fruit, which my friend doesn't particularly like, and I get first dibs : ) Fig jam... then...???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky him...I am weird with figs, as I like them best, raw.

      Cooked, their flavour alters to plain sweetness...Apart from jam, maybe you could dry them?

      Delete
  6. Good suggestion, thanks... if drying works well I'll send some. Roasted with honey and orange, also good : )

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.