Monday, February 13, 2012

The beating heart


On our way back from Cape Point yesterday I stood on the brakes. Haemanthus sanguineus in a mown piece of veld beside the side of the road. Red expressions in the dry grass and young fern.


It is the heartsore day, now staring us full in the face, when I can barely look my mother in the eyes. I am best with no words. I do not want anything but the composure that makes it possible to leave. I turn inward and keep my own council. I can't wait to see Vince. I can't wait to get back to work. But it is given to me to inflict this pain.


Goodbye, Cape Town.

10 comments:

  1. Aww Marie, saying goodbye is so hard. Godspeed my dear. We are planning our welcome home dinner for when you are settled back and in. oxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding us all of the beautiful place we're lucky enough to live in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie -- thanks for sharing so much of your trip with us. Saying good bye is so hard -- say au revoir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodbye Marie... you will be missed, but I look forward to your blog.

    From Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stekte!!

    Ek huil sommer vir jou.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very moving post. Thank you for sharing your travels home with us; I have such a greater awareness of South Africa since I started reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken daardie gevoel maar alte goed. Sterkte, Marie. Dit word ook nooit beter nie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Marie- I know that pain both ways...strength and love x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, everyone. Back in Brooklyn, typing in bed, listening to the American street noises...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this with tears filling my eyes, knowing what it feels like to leave family and friends behind in SA.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.