Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Autumn in the hood


Happening right now on a rainy night in Harlem: smooth sumac (Rhus glabra) vodka shaken up with a lick of maple syrup (cocktail name...help?). Since I didn't collect and make the maple syrup myself I'll omit botanical name. But you should talk to our friend, Steve...


Puffballs (Calvatia fragilis) and meadow mushrooms (Agaricus campestris) sauteeing. In the oven, hen of the woods (Grifola frondosa) are roasting...

...wild mushroom risotto for supper.

7 comments:

  1. Would love to see pictures of the mushroom dishes, if you happen to have some.
    As to the cocktail, I'd like to put "Sumac Night" on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry -- I should have said "the other mushroom dishes."

      Delete
  2. How about "Harlem Shake"

    Bernardine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made sumac vodka this year after saving a long ago post you did. I've mixed it with St Germain, but like the idea of maple syrup much better! I collected the sumac near our cabin and now have 1 liter of it in the frig. Yummmmm, SOUR but yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harvest Moonshine :) The moon has been that exact colour some nights...Bella Luna

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.