Sunday, December 28, 2008

Tree tomatoes


The wonderful family Solanaceae brings us the tree tomato, growing in my mom's herb garden, bought as a one gallon plant about ten years ago and now heavy with fruit every year.
Cyphomandra betacea.
Yum.

3 comments:

  1. Yum, indeed! I despair of ever again growing them, but unfailingly buy them when I can.(And then I eat them all myself as The Man can't stand them!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MIT - I would have thought your climate would be perfect? Yes, not everyone likes them, but eaten with a spoon from the shell when very ripe, I adore them. I see them in NYC sometimes for prices in the $1/per range...giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, no. Tropical heat/humidity and, worse, high winds, wreak havoc.

    ReplyDelete

Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.