Beautiful berries! I found a whole bunch of them naturalized in a thicket next to the runoff from a friend's pond. I'd say they're most definitely edible if you're a mockingbird; not really edible for humans. D'you have a good reference for them being edible?
It's my favorite color. I put in one of these because it was recommended in all the "planting for birds" books and articles -- but they leave it very much alone. Beauty bush, indeed.
So I nibbled...and spat for good measure. Discretely. Not like in Chinatown this morning where I was missiled several times.
So: not sweet. Squooshy and a little gritty. An aftertaste quite distinct, in the way that almond essence is. No...not cyanide.
I could see a niche for Beauty Berry essence in baking. Vaguely bitter, but more aromatic in the way I cannot define, never having tasted it before. Too crunchy for jam, I think. But lilac jelly might be fun.
I like this color. Not to wear or paint my living room. But it is as close to artificial color, but not! Intense, purple with undertones of blue & magenta. MMMM.
I took a photo of these at BBG yesterday; birds flitting in and out of them. They look like candy.
Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.
I think it's a beautiful colour.
ReplyDeleteIt probably is.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful berries! I found a whole bunch of them naturalized in a thicket next to the runoff from a friend's pond. I'd say they're most definitely edible if you're a mockingbird; not really edible for humans. D'you have a good reference for them being edible?
ReplyDeleteIt's my favorite color.
ReplyDeleteI put in one of these because it was recommended in all the "planting for birds" books and articles -- but they leave it very much alone. Beauty bush, indeed.
Reconsidering.
ReplyDeleteIt is a pretty picture. Maybe it's the brownstone behind it that makes it look funny to me.
I like actual violets, which can be this colour.
Don't know. Shall think some more.
QC various online sources say edible: jam, pancakes..others say not sure. I will nibble some tonight and see what happens.
So I nibbled...and spat for good measure. Discretely. Not like in Chinatown this morning where I was missiled several times.
ReplyDeleteSo: not sweet. Squooshy and a little gritty. An aftertaste quite distinct, in the way that almond essence is. No...not cyanide.
I could see a niche for Beauty Berry essence in baking. Vaguely bitter, but more aromatic in the way I cannot define, never having tasted it before. Too crunchy for jam, I think. But lilac jelly might be fun.
I like this color. Not to wear or paint my living room. But it is as close to artificial color, but not!
ReplyDeleteIntense, purple with undertones of blue & magenta. MMMM.
I took a photo of these at BBG yesterday; birds flitting in and out of them. They look like candy.