Monday, April 21, 2014

Mint on the cheap


A good way to get a cheap mint patch going is to root a bunch of $1.99 store-bought mint in water, and then plant it out once the stems have lots of little white roots going.  It takes about ten days. I hardened mine off a little before planting outside, by putting the water glass out (in the shade) during the day for about a week.

Keep well watered once planted. Mint can take some shade, which is helpful. Not many herbs like the shadows.

We eat a lot of mint, so I don't think controlling it will be a problem. One of my favourite things to make last year was a pile of mint and watercress leaves dressed with olive oil and a shake of sherry vinegar,  then rolled up in a thin layer of fattoush, a flat bread. Add creamy feta for luck.

My pea recipe in 66 Square Feet - A Delicious Life calls for a bunch of mint.

And then there are always the mojitos of summer, and mint-packed gin and tonics...

8 comments:

  1. Serendipity! Am thinking of doing exactly the same thing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done the same thing with basil with good results.

    Nancy Mc

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as we are on herbs, could one ever find good basil in temperate regions before the planting season begins? I've purchased some fresh basil in stores in the winter (some quite beautiful-looking), but they've all had either zero or objectionable flavour. Is it possible to grow basil indoors in the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Odd to see the word "mint" without "julep" closely following.

    Let me see... "mint julep..."

    Okay, think I will (after shopping).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know we are uncivilized Yankees. Kind of.

      Delete
  5. a silly question: peppermint or spearmint? it confounded me today at the garden store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a silly question. The short answer is, I don't know. But this mint pictured is the only one I really like. I think this is Mentha spicata (spearmint) but the common names for mint are enourmously confused and confusing.

      Delete
  6. I love mint! It's so prolific! I used to grow it in big containers and they come back even through harsh winters! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.