Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ice field


After the once-every-more-or-less-two-weeks shop at Wholefoods on Columbus Circle (which allows me to stock up on organic chicken, a grass-fed steak, maybe, and, this time, two beautiful branzinos), I veered off into Central Park in search of the great outdoors.


I walked along the road for a bit, but then saw the Sheep Meadow, with no one on it. Not even sheep. 


And in I went. At first I managed to stay on top of the snow, which was frozen, but soon enough I broke through with an abrupt drop in altitude. Undeterred, I decided to aim for the middle of the white field.

I wasn't prepared for the crunch and plunge with every step, which shows how little I know about snow. I've never really had this much to practise on. New York's lucky if it gets a decent snowfall a season. We've had several, and the cold after our last one had kept untrafficked snow clean and cold, and has changed its fluffy nature.


No wonder those Everest climbers have such trouble. It's hard work!


Phew. In the end I followed a set of tracks across, wobbling every now and then as the ice caught my feet. Fortunately I did not have to worry about my purchases thawing.



I reached the far side and the beautiful elm alley.


Where I found an impossibly well dressed dog.


The shoes! I'm not against snow shoes for dogs - the salt and chemicals on city sidewalks are horrible, and I think it's awful that most dogs have to walk in the noxious slush (this from a cat person) but these are...a little disturbing. 


The pond is iced over, completely.


The Ramble is on the other side of the bridge (site of spring walk).


I crossed the bridge, then headed back to the subway, shoulders now aching from the heavy bags, and caught the B from 81st to 125th Street, where I surfaced and walked west, passing icicles and stray cats, before turning up our front stairs and letting myself into the apartment, greeted my well fed black cat, and unpacked what I had found.

15 comments:

  1. The dog boots look like what i imagine bondage boots would look like .... or something. They do look more substantial than mine, tho, so perhaps i should look around for some people-sized ones!

    Looks like you're going to get more tomorrow, so snuggle down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that wholesome dog might make dirty videos...

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous walk you had! very good idea. I think : finally a dog owner who is responsible enough for his dog's health. walking barefeet in the snow is also hurting because of the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get sooooooo cross when I see some dog owners walking their miserable dogs...

      Delete
  3. why not wear a knapsack to Whole Foods? So much easier to carry home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny. It never occurred to me. And now you have my mother on your side! :-)

      Next time! Good idea.

      Delete
  4. Now that, CharlotteK, is an excellent idea.... also leaves the hands free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's as If I were there with you (sick in bed with the second cold of the winter season, the frozen Hudson soothing my swollen eyelids). Thank you for the moment! GH

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dog has boots (given by a fellow dog owner), The dog has never willingly worn them. They aren't as fancy as the ones you saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it takes forever to get them used to the boots.

      Delete
  7. Watch the shoulders....just saying.

    I was with a friend when she bought her dog boots, she was was all excited because there was an extra pair in the box. Our other friend gently reminded her dogs have 4 feet.

    Hers look like mini Uggs.

    Imagine trying to get boots on a cat. Then again you got one dressed in a tshirt!

    xo J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jajajajajaja! Four feet. That is very funny!!!

      Delete
  8. Love that the dog & man have the same color coats, the amazing doggie boots are the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.