Friday, February 17, 2012

A man and his dog


My father, Henri, and his dog, Ben, on the lawn at No.9, four days ago.

My father takes Ben and the two corgis for a short walk every evening, often still dressed in his suit, straight from work. Few men still dress the way he does. In the late 40's and early 50's he worked in his father's shop, a men's outfitters in Bloemfontein: Viljoen's. He studied law at night. 



I like the idea of the delight of other dog walkers as they watch the quartet's progress. The polished shoes, precise handkerchief, knotted tie and clip. The old labrador, now 14, walking unsteadily but happily at his own pace, the man humouring his friend's failing legs, the corgis trotting about their groundlevel business - one busy frenetically with a pinecone, the other rushing at Alsations four times his size. A courtly and anarchical evening stroll.

[Ben died three weeks after this photo was taken]

15 comments:

  1. What a touching post. I like how the red of Ben's collar is echoed in your father's tie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your father is a handsome and dapper man! Ben looks like a very good dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A red pinstripe suit? Awesome. You took a beautiful portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps that's why I felt so comfortable so fast with your father. My father, too, goes to the office everyday in a suit and tie. He also carries a real handkerchief, which my mother irons. And of course any friend of Ben's is a friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me, this picture is the epitome of what a man and his dog should look like! They are absolutely exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) That's just lovely... both pictures and post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely word picture, too. It's nice to see that there are still a few real gentlemen in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post. Charming, sweet; a lovely glimpse into a beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you all should have seen the gentleman cycle his way around the Cape Peninsula two years ago, in gusting winds that made the 108 kilometer long ride seem endless... He's my hero.

    Oh, and stripes duly noted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Treasure that sight! I remember watching my father walk from their house to his workshop/garage to feed the outdoor cats--four cats were walking with him. I'd give anything now to have a picture of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two lovely, lovely faces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a big soft spot for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful picture/portrait! I love the grey of experience in both of them. Your father is dashing and Ben looks like a wise old sweetheart. Gave my heart a tug.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.