Friday, August 8, 2008

Modern breakfast


This is what my weekday breakfasts look like. Though the cup is a recent addition - purchased when I went back to Anthropologie for that extra doorknob. I need to stock up again on cups and saucers - I prefer old ones, they are a pleasure to hold, but this one, and its leaf-green friend, were the right size, larger than usual...In Cape Town perhaps, going through the Kalk Bay and Long Street antique shops, I may pick up a few. They are not the bargains they used to be.

This is Illy coffee, a favourite, with hot milk and brown sugar. One of the greatest pleasures I can think of. And yes, there are quite a few. But this is a serious one. The rolls are simply labelled Milk Bread at Sahadi's and are very soft and mild - I put them in the hot oven straight from the freezer and in no time they are crisp outside and soft in. They are flavoured, they say, with mahlab, which I just looked up. I would have said anise. The butter is Land O' Lakes unsalted, and the jam is my red currant and raspberry. My one sweet weakness.

It's a good breakfast. And yes, I could carry it to the terrace. But that's for weekends. If I don't have it in bed.

4 comments:

  1. Café au lait. My favourite.

    The bowl is really very nice, but it doesn't say bonjour. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's much less polite that way. And it's a cup...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happen to be reading this at breakfast time...that looks so tempting.....

    ReplyDelete

Please use the Name option when leaving comments. Anonymous comments may not be published. Comments on posts more than two days are moderated for spam.